Oral Communication at NC State
The Pack Proficiencies (General Education Competencies), including oral communication, develop through multiple and sustained experiences across the General Education Program (GEP). The GEP provides a foundation for oral communication and other Pack Proficiencies (General Education Competencies). It is expected that each degree program provide additional support to build upon that foundation throughout the major.
- A generally educated NC State student will use verbal and nonverbal communication for clear expression of ideas.
- A generally educated NC State student will build, express, and justify an informed position.
- A generally educated NC State student will adapt messages to varying situations and contexts.
Assessment of Oral Communication
Current Assessment Activities
In fall 2018, the Office of Assessment worked with faculty to apply the Oral Communication Rubric to authentic students products in their courses: student presentations. Faculty scored their student presentations using the Oral Communication Rubric; staff from the Office of Assessment served as second scorers. The data from this assessment were shared back with the faculty members. The Office of Assessment then planned to continue working with faculty in this manner in spring 2019, and aggregate the data for analysis.
In spring 2019, the Office of Assessment continued to work with faculty to apply the Oral Communication Rubric to score student presentations. Staff from the Office of Assessment served as second scorers. The data from this assessment were shared back with the faculty members. The Office of Assessment also developed an online norming module to help faculty prepare for scoring student products using the common rubric. The module includes videos of 4 student presentations and the calibrated scores from the Office of Assessment. The module launches in fall 2019.
- Oral Communication Rubric
- Online Norming Module for Oral Communication Rubric
- Authentic Assessment Process for Oral Communication
- More Information on General Education Competency Assessment